Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dear Shopping Savage...


Dear Shopping Savage,

I am a 32-year old man who's starting to notice my hair thinning out. Do you have any tricks up your sartorial sleeve to prevent hair loss?

Signed,

Thin On Top

------------

Mr. T.O.T.,

There are several ways to approach hair loss. The most effective would be to consult a dermatologist and/or an endocrinologist. The dermatologist to determine if the hair loss is due to a form of "alopecia"; the endocrinologist to determine if a hormonal imbalance is the culprit. You could also try out a number of over-the-counter products that claim to help restore hair and stave off any additional strands from jumping scalp.

My personal hair care regimen is to wash my hair every other day with an over-the-counter product for hair loss-prevention that seems to work well. Because it is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner I lather and rinse to remove dirt and oil and then re-lather, only this time allowing the conditioner to set in by wearing a disposable shower cap. After the shower I massage a capful of vitamin E oil into my scalp.

Since there is no one cause or cure for hair loss my vote is for you to check it all out. I would, however, encourage you to familiarize yourself with the Norwood Scale to access your level and pattern of hair loss before consulting a professional and/or the nearest men's personal grooming isle. You should also think about taking pictures before, during and after you experiment with different restoration products to find out which has you head-over-heels or just leaves you hanging by a hair.

Need sartorial advice? Email me: ShoppingSavage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment