Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dear Shopping Savage...



Dear Shopping Savage,

I recently moved to NYC. As winter quickly approaches I would like to start preparing for the cold, but I don't own ANYthing suitable. I am a woman but have a more masculine fashion sense (i.e. I haven't bought girl clothes in almost 10 years). Where are some good places to shop/things to buy that I can stay warm for not a TON of money??

Signed,

Thin Blooded Southern Belle

------------

Dear T.B.S.B.,

First, you're going to want to try layering what you already have. Once it starts to get really cold your first purchase needs to be of several pairs of thermal underclothing - and that includes socks. As long as you have these on you'll never need as many layers on, which will help decrease the bulkiness of your outfit but still amp up your warmth.

Next, you're going to need to invest in a goose down jacket. Most brands that carry this type of jacket have a large selection of cuts, colors and styles, but look at going up one size to accommodate for layering. I would also advise to err on the side of caution and get one that hits at least to your knees. (Trust me on this. You'll thank me later.)

Last but not least, you'll want to purchase a few accessory essentials: namely, a scarf, hat, gloves and galoshes. My personal suggestion on the scarf, hat and gloves would be to stay away from dark neutrals like black and gray so its easier to be spotted in a crowd. The galoshes will be good for walking to work and running errands on the weekends. They'll preserve your shoes from unnecessary damage and its as simple as rinsing them off if they ever start to look a little weathered from the weather.

There are a lot of things I love about New York, but the winters aren't one of them. But if you can make it through this winter you'll have made it through one of the toughest cities, during one of its toughest seasons. If you can do that you just may earn the privilege of calling New York home.

Need sartorial advice? Email me: ShoppingSavage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment