Part 2: Team Au Naturel
Last week, I shared with you a few of my favorite natural celebrity hairstyles and blogs that support women with, transitioning to, or just thinking about making the change to natural hair. This week, I offer you tips on natural hair care:
1. Comb conditioners through hair thoroughly. Not doing so can result in matting or tangling, which can result in knotted hair and breakage.
The complete Softsheen-Carson Roots of Nature Haircare line
2. Use natural products. The Nature Remedies line by Soft-Sheen Carson was recommended several times over by women who have gone natural. The product line is lightweight, non-greasy and uses natural ingredients like mango oil and sweet almond oil to promote healthy hair and growth.
Roots of Nature Thermal Smoothing Serum
3. When flat-ironing or blow drying hair, always use a protective serum to prevent damage to strands. Many friends that have gone natural recommend Roots of Nature Remedies Thermal Smoothing Serum by Soft-Sheen Carson.
4. If you choose to style your hair using braids or extensions, avoid pulling around the hairline. This pulling creates tension, resulting in excessive breakage.
5. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE HEAT! When blow drying, divide hair into 2-3 inch sections from the nape of the neck up to the front of the head. Also, use a Denman brush for less pulling. Keep in mind that heat damages hair, so the less you use the better.
6. During winter months, be sure to give your hair a little extra TLC. Make sure that your hair and scalp are regularly moisturized. It is recommended that you add at least one additional round of conditioning throughout the week.
Roots of Nature Stimulating Scalp Oil
7. If your scalp is feeling dry or tight, use a lightweight oil to moisturize. Roots of Nature Stimulating Scalp Oil by Soft-Sheen Carson was recommended to me to soften and add moisture without weighing hair down.
Roots of Nature Strengthening Oil Moisturizer
8. If your hair is dry, restore moisture by using a moisturizer. The Soft-Sheen Carson Roots of Nature line offers a strengthening oil moisturizer which will strengthen and condition tresses.
You are now armed with a guide for caring for natural hair, ideas for styles and resources for when you may feel a little lost on your journey towards going natural. If you choose to begin the transition, I wish you well in your process. This can be an enlightening, liberating and exciting experience; be open to the change and enjoy it!
Follow Ashleigh on twitter